Lake Powell, AZ Sunset

Lake Powell, AZ Sunset

Friday, August 13, 2010

If I Only Had a Brain ...

Dana's Red Shroom
That's the song refrain I woke up with this morning. Sometimes, nah, make that "a lot of the time", I drive my poor husband up the wall with the songs I find in my head each morning. Sometimes they're okay but more often than not they're just plain nuts. Like the day I awoke to "Old MacDonald"! Never having had children, this was not high on his list of appropriate musical accompaniment to his morning coffee.

Anyway, this morning it was "If I Only Had a Brain" from the Wizard of Oz. Go figure. I know why the theme was there. I'm feeling a bit out of sorts and useless lately. When that happens it is inevitable that old tapes from childhood return to torture me. "You are not pretty. You are not popular. Being smart will not get you friends or make you popular." ad nauseum. Thank you Mommie Dearest!

For too many years I believed her. It took a lot of personal growth, unfortunately fairly late in life, for me to figure out that was her opinion, but that it didn't necessarily make it true. So the lesson of the day is, don't believe everything you hear. Search out your own truths!

What does this have to do with a red mushroom? Not a heck of a lot, I guess. I found it in my friend's yard yesterday and thought it was pretty. I've never seen one like it before. Like me, it's unique. Like me, it's unusual. Like me, it may have hidden value. In any event, it made my day better for being in my world, for me to enjoy. Hopefully that is something else I have in common with it.

1 comment:

  1. Well, if you want crazy songs, try the days I've been trying to find the end of the "Washy, washy, washy in new blue Cheer" jingle.

    Seriously... interesting points on the old tapes. They do keep coming back and it takes serious and conscious effort to replace them.

    Thank you for pointing out (through something I hadn't even noticed in my own yard), the importance of being unique, being yourself, being unusual. For reminding me that I do have value, even if I sometimes neglect to recognize it, because I'm too caught up in the every day, the little glitches or circumstances that start the old tapes. Thank you for making me rethink.

    I believe I need to spend more time just walking the property and appreciating all the little things that make it special, making time to enjoy what surrounds me and I take for granted.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog and leave me a comment. Constructive criticism and conversations are always welcomed.